Marketing and Events Manager
The Maryland Jockey Club is seeking a sharp and innovative marketing and events manager to promote the Maryland Jockey Club’s brand and product, as well as build and execute event experiences that engage prospective and existing Maryland Jockey Club customers to drive maximum ROI.
Marketing Essential Responsibilities
- Analyze marketing data, including campaign results, conversion rates, and online traffic to improve future marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Plan and coordinate marketing campaigns, PR/advertising, and other seasonal marketing efforts across channels online and offline channels.
- Collaborate with a graphic designer to improve the layout appearance of graphic outputs, adjust, and refine marketing initiatives and creative collaterals.
- Work with external agencies and vendors to execute online and offline marketing programs.
- Communicate promotional and racing event information and content to the webmaster and social media team.
- Coordinate and execute production of Racing, Marketing, and Hospitality digital and printed materials.
- Ensure Maryland Jockey Club brand guidelines are met with internal and external stakeholders.
- Execute email marketing campaigns and drive the acquisition of new customer data.
- Assist with the publication of the Maryland Jockey Club’s newsletter(s).
Event Essential Responsibilities
- Plan, promote, support, and oversee promotional events to drive new and retain existing customers.
- Set, communicate, and maintain event/project timelines and priorities.
- Liaison with internal and external suppliers including hospitality, caterers, etc.
- Organize appropriate sponsorship and co-branding of external events.
- Own the post-event process, completing debrief meetings, and overseeing sales outreach.
- Use existing and novel informative tools to disseminate event-related details.
- Answer event-related queries posed by existing and prospective customers.
- Fulfill venue sponsorship activations.
- Work with graphic designer and internal and external partners to develop the right experience for different events and programs.
- Implement systems with internal partners to manage invitations, sign up, guest list, discounts, etc.
- Deliver events on time, within budget, that meet (and hopefully exceed) expectations.
- Assists in the liaison and execution of joint Hospitality/Guest Experience promotions.
- Assist in the proofing of all pricing/discounts/offers/promotions with ticketing and sales teams.
- Day-Of event management to ensure effective awareness, education, impact, and evangelism across Maryland Jockey Club’s customer base.
- Track all promotional costs and maintains relevant spreadsheets.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, communications, or a related field
- Minimum of three experience in either marketing or events management
- 3+ years of experience managing B2C in-person, digital and hybrid events
- Understanding the requirements of the organization and use creative processes and ideas to deliver effective marketing programs
- Demonstrate experience of running multiple events from conception to completion at one time.
- Hands-on experience with virtual event platforms and apps.
- Experience evaluating and negotiating contracts and working with external suppliers, including event organizers, event locations, etc.
- Ability to evaluate performance against key metrics and optimize for improved future results.
- Strong knowledge of various marketing and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, CRM, Microsoft Office, and social media platforms.
- Excellent oral and written communication, time management, organizational, and decision-making skills.
- Availability and willingness to work a flexible schedule with extended hours, weekends, and holidays to ensure that projects and events are completed, as needed.
- Proficient in the Adobe Suite of products is a plus.
- Energetic, go-getter, and self-starter attitude with a passion for building engaging and unique event experiences
- Able to multi-task and manage and prioritize multiple events, marketing initiatives.
- Confident and understands how to work with and influence executives both internally and externally.
- Ability to work independently and cross-functionally in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with the expectation of a 35+ hour workweek. Days and hours of work are Tuesday – Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. required for key deadlines and/or initiatives.
The job’s main location is Laurel Park, MD, and may occasionally alternate locations between Laurel Park, MD, and Baltimore, MD. Flexibility in work locations can be accommodated.
Some travel will be required for meetings with agency partners, visitation to our venues, or events.
Salary commensurate with experience
About the Maryland Jockey Club
Established in 1743, the Maryland Jockey Club is the premier sports and entertainment destination for world-class Thoroughbred horse racing. The Maryland Jockey Club is the “gem” between Baltimore, MD, and Washington, DC. We operate Pimlico Racecourse//home of the world-famous Preakness Stakes and Laurel Park Racecourse in Laurel, MD.
The Maryland Jockey Club is a Stronach Group company, North America’s leading Thoroughbred racetrack owner/operator. We are here to reinvent the sport of Thoroughbred horse racing, to achieve a world-class level of safety for horses and riders, provide a unique and fully engaging entertainment experience for our guests and online wagerers and ensure rewarding and sustainable careers for our employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.