- Race Info
- Racing 101
- Health & Safety
- Wager Now
Annual Organization of Racing Investigators Meeting Set for Feb. 23-26
Meeting Presented by 1/ST Safety, Registration Open
LAUREL, MD – Many of the world’s top racing investigators will meet in New Mexico Feb. 23-26 for the annual meeting of the Organization of Racing Investigators, presented by 1/ST Safety.
The meetings will take place at The Downs at Albuquerque. Click here for registration for ORI members.
Presentations at the conference will include:
- Keynote presentation case study: Kwan Wolsey, Queensland Racing Integrity Commission
- Developing Open Source intelligence – Tyler Durand, Alcohol & Gaming Commission of Ontario
- “Trackman” Safety issues for the equine, related to track conditions – Glen Kozak, NYRA
- What to do if you have an “Active Shooter” at your racetrack – Tim McLaughlin, Parx Racing
- USTA Discussion on Standardbred racing – TC Lane, United States Trotting Association
- Discussion on Conflict of Interest between Horsemen and Officials – Don Ahrens, Sam Houston Race Pack and Juan Estrada, Arizona Department of Gaming
- Shenanigans in the racing office and what an Investigator should look for – Ismael (Izzy) Trejo, New Mexico Racing Commission
- What can’t the testing Lab detect it? – Petra Hartman, Industrial Laboratories
- Investigator role in catastrophic Injuries – Jim Blodgett, Texas Racing Commission
- What an Investigator needs to know to enforce TCO2 and Shockwave regulations: Alan Chastain, DVM
- Update on digital tattoos – Teena Appleby, TRPB
- Identifying human signs on drug impairment – Jason Klouser, Pennsylvania State Horse Racing Commission
- Case Study-Jockey Performance – Leasa Johnson, New Mexico Racing Commission
- Discussion of what makes the case for prosecution/appeal – Mark Swanson, NMAAG
- Demonstration of Equine Drug Dog – Luis Alvarez, Ruidoso Downs Racetrack
The ORI is composed of the professionals responsible for investigations associated with professional horse racing. ORI members are employed by government, police and regulatory entities as well as private security firms and racetracks.
1/ST Safety aims to achieve a world-class level of safety for horses and riders, and to provide a unique and fully engaging entertainment experience for our guests and online wagerers. For more information on 1/ST and 1/ST Safety, click here or visit @1STRacing, #1STisEARNED.
The annual conference is additionally sponsored by AQHA, Penn Gaming/Zia Park, The Downs at Albuquerque, Sunland Park, International Sound, The Thoroughbred Idea Foundation, Duralock Performance Fencing and the Sunland Park Tack Shop.